Top | Bruce Bauer
Grilled Rosemary Garlic Shrimp
(recipe, Bruce Bauer)
- ¼ cup chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. coarse salt
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh rosemary leaves, plus extra sprigs for garnish
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, plus extra oil for brushing
- 16 jumbo shrimp (about 10 per pound)
- 4 bamboo skewers (each 12 inches long; see Note)
- Lemon wedges
- Place garlic and salt in bowl of mortar or food processor and grind into a smooth paste.
- In a large bowl, stir together garlic paste, minced rosemary, and 3 tablespoons oil; add shrimp. Marinate shrimp, covered and chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In a shallow dish, cover skewers with water and soak for 30 minutes. Prepare grill.
- To grill, thread 4 shrimp onto each skewer and brush with additional oil. Grill shrimp on an oiled rack, set about 5 inches over glowing coals, 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until just cooked through. Alternatively, brush shrimp with additional oil and grill in a hot well-seasoned ridged grill pan, covered, over moderately high heat, 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Garnish shrimp with rosemary sprigs and serve with lemon wedges.
If you have metal skewers, use those.
Check out Bruce Bauer's article on great rosé wines to pair with grilled dishes.