Top | Breakfast
Cranberry Orange Pecan Muffins
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
great cranberry orange flavor. When figs are available, substitute chopped fresh figs for the cranberries.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup orange juice, preferrably fresh-squeezed
- zest of 2 oranges
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup fresh cranberried, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans (2 Tbsp reserved for topping muffins, if you like- no biggie)
- 1. Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees. Spray a 12 muffin pan with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 3. In a separate bowl, whisk together melted butter, egg, buttermilk, orange juice, orange zest and vanilla. Add the wet mix to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the cranberries and pecans. Spoon the batter into the molds, and sprinkle with reserved pecans.
- 4. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until tops are golden and a tester comes out clean.Transfer pan to ar ack and let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing.