Top | Savita Iyer-Ahrestani
(recipe, Savita Iyer-Ahrestani)
This quick dish makes for a hearty meal on a winter’s night and is one of the easiest ways to get children to eat some form of spinach.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package Seabrook Farms frozen creamed spinach or similar item
- 2 cups grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 sheets premade puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, make a thick white sauce by melting the butter and then blending in the flour. Add the salt and cook over low heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Slowly pour in the milk, stirring constantly, and cook until the sauce is smooth and thick. Remove from the heat.
- Place the puff-pastry sheets on a baking sheet and poke holes in the pastry with a fork.
- Mix the spinach into the white sauce, then spread the mixture across the pastry sheets.
- Sprinkle the Gruyère cheese over the top and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and the pastry is crispy.