Top | Eamon's recipes
Sweet Potato Latkes
(recipe, Eamon Molloy)
This recipe is a variation on the classic latke. If you need to make a gluten-free version, substitute potato starch or cornstarch for the flour.
- 2 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 Tbsp. flour or matzo meal
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Shred the sweet potatoes in a food processor or by hand, then place in a large bowl. Add the onions, eggs, and flour or matzo meal, and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat about ½ inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. The oil is ready when a sweet-potato piece sizzles in the pan.
- Stir the mixture again to incorporate the starch settled in the bottom of the bowl. To shape the latkes, scoop up about 3 to 4 tablespoons of the mixture, squeeze out the excess liquid, and shape into a pancake. Fry the pancakes until well browned. Remove from the oil when done and set on paper towels to drain.
- Place the latkes in the preheated oven to keep warm while cooking the remaining pancakes. Serve with sour cream and applesauce.
If reheating the latkes, set them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and place the sheet in a 450-degree oven. Heat until hot, 10 to 15 minutes. Turn the latkes several times while in the oven.