Top | Savita Iyer-Ahrestani
(recipe, Savita Iyer-Ahrestani)
My mom introduced me to this soothing, yogurt-based dish when I was a child. It is gentle on the stomach and light yet extremely satisfying.
- 1 large (2-pound) carton of plain low-fat yogurt
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves
- 1 green chile, cut in small pieces (optional)
- 1 can (14½ ounces) beets (beetroot), diced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- Empty the yogurt into a bowl and whisk with the salt and the lime juice until creamy.
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan that has a lid. When the oil is hot (about 1 minute), remove from the flame. Add the mustard seeds, put the lid on the saucepan, and allow the mustard seeds to pop. Once the seeds have stopped popping, add the curry leaves and the green chile (if using) and mix together.
- Add the beets and sauté until they are fairly soft. Add the beets to the yogurt and mix together. Garnish with the chopped cilantro.