Top | Oprah
Curried Mushroom Soup
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup assorted dried oyster, morel, and porcini mushrooms
- Light vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1½ cups chopped leek, white part only (2-3 leeks)
- 2 Tbsp. flour1 tbsp curry
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 cups chopped fresh portobello mushrooms (3 smallish mushrooms)
- 4 cups chopped fresh shitake mushrooms (10-12 mushrooms)
- 1 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chervil (garnish)
- Pour boiling water over dried mushrooms in a bowl and set aside to soak.
- Preheat a heavy stockpot over medium heat for about 1 minute, then spray it twice with the vegetable oil. Add the leeks and saute for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until translucent. Add the flour and curry powder. Stir with a wooden spoon until the leeks are well coated. Add the milk and bouillon cube. Raise the heat to high and cook just until bubbles begin to form around the edge.
- Reduce the heat to low and whisk until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Stir in the fresh mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the reconstituted mushrooms from their soaking liquid, strain, squeeze out excess moisture, and roughly chop. (Save the soaking liquid for another soup or sauce; here it would thin the soup too much and curdle the skim milk) Add to the stockpot and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in sherry.
- Garnish with the chopped chervil.