Top | Breakfast
Classic Buttermilk Pancakes
(recipe, Caroline Cummins)
This recipe comes from a friend, who keeps a copy of it on a handy Post-It in the kitchen.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 to 2 cup blueberries (optional)
- Butter and maple syrup, for serving
- Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk them together. Put the wet ingredients in a larger bowl and mix them together. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until blended.
- Use a ½ cup or ⅓ cup measure to ladle the batter onto a preheated electric griddle, nonstick grill pan, or cast-iron pan (Use a little melted butter to grease the pan if necessary.) If desired, dot the individual pancakes with blueberries before flipping each pancake to finish cooking.
- Serve warm, passing the butter and maple syrup at the table.
Culinate editor's notes: You can replace the buttermilk with kefir, if you like, although you may need to add a little milk to the batter to thin it.