Top | Soups
Watercress, Leek, Potato Soup
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
This soup is excellent either hot or cold.
- 8 cups chicken broth (8 cups = 68 ounces, I've also used a 49-ounce can)
- ½ Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 6 leeks, white and pale green parts, about 6 cups
- 1 lb. russet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 8 oz. watercress, coarse stems trimmed, chopped
- OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- Sea scallops cooked til golden in a bit of oil
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter on MEDIUM and saute the leeks until soft. Stir in the potato to coat with fat. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer until the potatoes are cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the watercress, cover and let stand for about 5 minutes or until the watercress wilts. Puree with an immersion blender or a regular blender (in batches, filling the blender no more than ⅓ - ½ full and holding the lid tightly to prevent the hot liquid from exploding all over). Serve and enjoy.
- With optional ingredients: Return to heat, add sour cream and milk and heat til very hot but do not allow to boil. Transfer to bowls and top with scallops.