Top | Soups
Good Fortune Black-eyed Peas and Collards Soup
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
Originally from Homesick Texan
- Drizzle of olive oil
- ½ lb. of collard greens, stems removed and chopped
- ¼ lb. of cooked ham, diced
- 2 15.0 oz. cans of black-eyed peas (can use fresh or frozen as well)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- A pinch of sugar
- 5 dashes hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large pot, cook the onion and carrots in the oil on medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until onions start to turn golden. Add the garlic and cook for three more minutes.
- 2. Add to the pot the collard greens, vinegar, sugar, ham, chicken stock, tomatoes and bay leaf, and bring pot to a boil and then simmer for half an hour, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Take one can of black-eyed peas, and roughly mash with a fork. Add these and the other can of black-eyed peas to the pot with the hot sauce.
- 4. Continue to simmer soup for another 45 minutes.