Top | Jamsa, Salsas, Sauces, Condiments
Quick Candied Cherries
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
- 1 lb. (450 g) fresh sweet or sour cherries, rinsed
- 1½ cups (375 ml) water
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Remove the stems and pit the cherries (I use a handheld cherry pitter.)
- In a large non-reactive saucepan (at least 4 quarts/liters) bring the cherries, water, sugar, and lemon juice to a boil.
- Reduce the heat so the cherries are cooking at a low rolling boil. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring frequently during the last 10 minutes of cooking to make sure the cherries are cooking evenly and not sticking.
- Once the syrup is mostly reduced and a brilliant ruby-color, similar to the consistency of maple syrup, remove the pan from the heat and cool the cherries to room temperature.
- After the cherries are cool, they can be refrigerated for up to one week, or frozen in zip-top freezer bags for up to one year.