Top | Jamsa, Salsas, Sauces, Condiments
Pesto alla Trapanese (ATK)
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
- ¼ cup slivered almonds (or pistachios)
- 12 oz. cherry or grap tomatoes (about 2½ cups)
- ½ cup packed basil leaves
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced (about 1 tsp)
- 1 small pepperoncini, stemmed, seeded and minced (or ½ tsp red wine vinegar plus ¼ tsp red pepper flakes)
- table salt
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. Pasta
- 1 oz. parmesean cheese, grated (about ½ cup)
- Reserved pasta water
- Toast almonds in a small skillet until toasty. Cool to room temperature.
- Process almonds, tomatoes, basil, garlic, pepperoncini, 1 tsp salt and red pepper flakes in food processor until smooth (about 1 minute). Scrape down sides. With motor running, drizzle in the olive oil slowly.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook to al dente, reserving pasta water. Drain pasta and transfer back to cooking pot.
- Add pesto and ½ cup parmesean cheese to the pasta, adjusting consistency with pasta water until creamy. Serve immediately, passing more cheese at table.