Top | Soups
Autumn Chestnut Fennel Mushroom Soup
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
- 4 cups light vegetable stock or broth
- 12 oz. button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- ½ a fennel bulb, cored and sliced (alternatively, you can use celeriac)
- 16 oz. shelled roast chestnuts, roughly chopped (bottled or fresh-roasted, see below)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup white wine
- salt, nutmeg, to taste
- A splash of half and half (optional)
- 1. In large pot, saute the mushrooms in the butter.
- 2. Add the fennel slices and saute for a few minutes, until beginning to soften. Add the chopped chestnuts, sprinkle the sugar over top, increase the heat to high for a couple minutes until the mixture begins to caramelize. Reduce the heat back to medium and deglaze the pan with the white wine. Stir the mixture for one minute, then add the chicken stock. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring the mixture to a boil, then simmer the mixture over low heat for 20 minutes. Blend the mixture with a blender until completely smooth. Stir in the half and season to taste.