Top | Breakfast
New Orleans Black Muffins
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
I haven't yet, but I want to try this recipe with loaves.
- ¾ cup hot water
- ½ cup molasses
- ¼ cup milk (any kind you'd like, even skim)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped pecans, dry roasted.
- Oven preheated to 300.
- Spread the pecans out on a cookie sheet and place them in the over until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the hot water and the molasses until the molasses dissolve, then stir in the milk.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Fold the liquid mixture and the pecans into the dry mixture with a rubber spatula. The batter will be spongy, so don't overmix.
- Spoon the batter into 12 greased muffin cups and bake for 45 - 1 hour (on the longer end for large muffins). Remove the muffins from the cups right away and serve warm, although they are delicious the next day as well.