Top | Soups
Sopa de Lima (Lime Soup)
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
I love this recipe on a cold winter day. Pick up a roaster chicken, and you can have soup for dinner in 15 minutes.
- 1 stick of Mexican cinnamon, broken up
- 1 tsp. dried Mexican oregano
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ lb. chicken breast, chopped into ¾-inch pieces (or cooked chicken, shredded)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- For garnishes:
- 4 oz. corn tortilla chips
- 4 oz. Chihuahua or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 avocados, peeled and chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ lime, sliced thinly
- Pour the chicken stock into a saucepan; bring to a boil. Add the spices, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes. Strain the stock into another pot, removing the spices. Bring the stock back to a simmer; add the chicken. Cook 10 minutes or until chicken is done. (or, if chicken is pre-cooked, just add to heat) Pour in the lime juice, and season with salt to taste.
- Top with any or all of the optional garnishes.