Top | Jamsa, Salsas, Sauces, Condiments
Pickled Red Onions
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
I've also made pickled red onions iwth just lime juice and salt. letting them sit for 1 hour. The recipe comes from Rick Bayless, but there are thousands out there.
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced ⅛-inch thick
- ¼ tsp. black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp. cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- Blanch the onion slices in boiling salted water for 45 seconds, then drain and place in a medium-size bowl. (This step is pretty much optional)
- Coarsely grind the peppercorns and cumin in a mortar or spice grinder, and add to the onions. Add the remaining ingredients, plus enough water to barely cover. Stir well and let stand for several hours until the onions turn bright pink.
- Advance Preparation: Covered and refrigerated, the onions last for several weeks.