Top | Recipe Box
Roasted Beet & Walnut Salad
(recipe, wendy lockwood)
To keep from staining your hands, wear thin latex gloves when peeling the beets. Cutting them into large chunks gives the salad a dramatic appearance. Don't crumble the blue cheese too finely.
- 8 to 10 medium-sized beets (about 2 pounds), rinsed, stem ends and roots trimed to 1 inch
- 2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. sugar
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 oz. blue cheese, coarsely crumbled
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350. Wrap the beets individually in foil. Place them on a baking sheet and roast until tender, about one hour (about 1½ hours if they are large). Remove from oven and set aside until they are just cool enough to handle. Wearing gloves, unwrap and slip the skins off.
- 2. Meanwhile, prepare the dressing: whisk together the vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt & pepper in small bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and continue whisking until thickened. set aside.
- 3. Cut the beets into ½ inch dice and place in bowl. Add the dressing and toss well.
- 4. Just before serving, toss the beets with the walnuts and transfer to a shallow serving dish. Sprinkle with the blue cheese.