Top | Desserts
Low Fat Chewy Ginger Cookies
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
This recipe is from David Lebovitz. It calls for 1/4 cup applesauce, but to make denser chewy cookies, you can cook 1/2 cup down to 1/4 cup. These freeze very well. the batter can also be chilled for up to 1 month.
- 1 cup, packed (215g) dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup (75g) applesauce
- ⅓ cup (45g) molasses (preferably mild-flavored)
- 2¼ cups (315g) flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1½ tsp. ground dried ginger
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ½ cup (50g) finely-chopped candied ginger
- additional sugar (about ½ cup, 100g) mixed with a big pinch of cinnamon (or turbinado sugar)for rolling the cookies
- 1. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, applesauce, and molasses for five minutes at medium speed, with the paddle attachment.
- 2. Meanwhile sift together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- 3. After five minutes, stop the mixer, scrape down the sides, and add the egg whites. Beat another minute.
- 4. With the mixer at its lowest speed, add the dry ingredients until completely incorporated, and mix on medium for one minute more.
- 5. Stir in the chopped candied ginger. Chill the batter very well.
- 6. To bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- 7. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- 8. Pour some cinnamon-scented granulated sugar (or turbinado sugar) in a shallow baking dish. Scoop the cookies into heaping tablespoon-sized balls (about the size of an unshelled walnut) and plunk them down into the sugar.
- Afterwards, use your hands to form the dough into sugar-coated balls: don’t be shy with the sugar either. It not only helps to shape the sticky dough, but makes a lovely crust for the finished cookies.
- 9. Put the cookie mounds evenly-spaced on the two baking sheets, leaving room (at least 3-inches, 8cm) between them to spread.
- 10. Bake for 13 minutes, or until the cookies feel just barely set in the center. Remove from oven and cool.