Top | Jacob Grier
The Old Fashioned
(recipe, Jacob Grier)
- 2 oz. spirit, typically bourbon or rye
- ¼ oz. rich simple syrup or a sugar cube
- 2 dashes bitters, typically Angostura
- Unmuddled fruit, for garnish
- If you’re using a sugar cube, you’ll need to muddle it with the bitters and dissolve the sugar in the spirit before adding ice.
- A “dash” is a subjective thing; it’s more than a drop, though, so don’t just tilt the bottle into the mixing glass. Give it a quick downward motion to force out some of the liquid.
- For the fruit, a cherry or orange zest works great.