Top | Savita Iyer-Ahrestani
Everyday Cauliflower Curry
(recipe, Savita Iyer-Ahrestani)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green chiles, halved
- ¼ tsp. fresh ginger, finely chopped, or ½ teaspoon ginger paste (see Note)
- ½ tsp. fresh garlic, finely chopped, or ½ teaspoon garlic paste (see Note)
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 cauliflower, cut into medium-sized florets
- Salt to taste
- Warm the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and brown them. Add the onion and green chiles and brown together. Add the garlic and ginger and turmeric, and stir or swirl around for about 2 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets and salt, stir, and cover the saucepan. After 1 minute, remove the lid and stir.
- Sprinkle with a little water and stir. Cook, stirring, until the cauliflower is crisp but cooked and not mushy. If it's starting to burn and isn't cooked yet, add a little more water.
- Remove the chiles before serving.
Garlic paste and ginger paste are available in Asian stores and most supermarkets.