Top | Jacob Grier
(recipe, Jacob Grier)
Bartender Lance Mayhew and I collaborated on this recipe, which we enjoy in an Old Fashioned with an aged English-style rum.
- 375 ml 151-proof rum
- Peel from one medium-sized orange
- 12 g coffee, coarsely ground with a mortar and pestle
- Slightly more than 1 gram dried orris root, chopped
- ½ star anise
- Combine all the ingredients in a jar and let steep, tasting daily to check on their progress; four days to a week will probably be enough time.
- Decant through a fine-mesh strainer and transfer to a bitters bottle.