Top | Desserts
Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes (or loaf cake)
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
This recipe makes an odd number of cupcakes, so just fill accordingly. The cake does not rise too much- you can fill almost all the way full (like 4/5ths).
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¾ cup vegetable oil or liquid coconut oil (I use coconut)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups all purpose flour OR whole wheat pastry flour (I used WW)
- 1 cup cocoa, sifted
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin pan with cups and/or lightly grease loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the sugar, butter and oil. Beat in eggs, one at atime until well incorporated. Stir in vanilla, buttermilk, zucchini and chocolate chips.
- In a large separate bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. Add the liquids into the dry and mix until combined. Spoon batter into muffin tins and/or loaf pans. Bake large muffins 35 minutes, regular muffins 15-18 minutes, and loaves 20-30 minutes. All until a toothpick comes out mostly clean with a few crumbs attached.
- Let cool completely in the tins on the rack. These freeze very well.