Top | Ellen Kanner
Vegan Zucchini Bread
(recipe, Ellen Kanner)
- 2 cups zucchini, grated and loosely packed
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seeds (also known as flax meal)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1½ cups spelt flour
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup soy milk
- 4 Tbsp. canola or coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp. agave
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-inch-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, toss together the grated zucchini, flax meal, and grated lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the spelt flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and brown sugar. Mix into the zucchini.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy milk and lemon juice. (The mixture will curdle; don’t fret.) Add the oil and agave.
- Gently mix the wet ingredients into the zucchini mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.