Top | Eating out of the Box
Beet and Lentil Salad
(recipe, Rich and Jess Bernstein)
Very loosely based on Emily's Purloined Beet and Lentil Salad (http://cookwolf.blogspot.com/2009/04/purloined-lentil.html).
I like it with blobs of chèvre.
- 6 medium beets, unpeeled, scrubbed, trimmed
- 3 cups lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 4 to 5 cups water
- 1 small onion (red or yellow), quartered lengthwise, sliced thinly
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1½ tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1½ Tbsp. of red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place beets and lentils in a pot with 4 to 5 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Cook 30 to 45 minutes, until lentils are tender and a knife slips easily into centers of beets.
- Meanwhile, make a vinaigrette by placing the remaining ingredients in a jar and shaking to combine.
- Allow beets and lentils to cool, uncovered.
- Peel beets and cut into 1-inch chunks; combine with lentils and onions in a large bowl.
- Toss with vinaigrette.
- Adjust salt and pepper.
- Serve at room temperature.