Top | A Mediterranean Feast
Açili Esme (Spicy Turkish-Style Yogurt)
(recipe, Clifford A. Wright)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, peeled
- ¾ cup high-quality, full-fat yogurt
- 6 Tbsp. strained yogurt, or labna (see Note, below)
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. chopped dill weed
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Pound the salt and garlic together in a mortar until mushy.
- Blend it with the yogurt, labna, cayenne, and dill. Turn it into a bowl and swirl olive oil over the surface.
Culinate editor's note: To strain yogurt, measure it into a small strainer set over a bowl and leave it for three or more hours; discard the strained liquid. Alternatively, for this recipe you could use Greek-style yogurt or even sour cream.