Top | Newsletter featured recipes
Eggplant Salad with Basil
(recipe, Hillsdale Farmers' Market)
- 2 lb. egglant cut into 1½ inch cubes
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ cup basil, coarsely chopped
- juice from 2 lemons
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
- Toss eggplant, ¼ cup olive oil, salt and garlic in a large bowl. Put mix on a roasting pan. Bake until eggplant is soft but not mushy, 25-35 minutes. Cool slightly then place in a large salad bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, lower heat and cook until onions are soft, about 10-15 minutes. Add onions to the eggplant.
- Season to taste with black pepper. Add basil and lemon juice and toss. Adjust seasonings to taste.