Top | Sandwiches
Chicago-Style Hot Dogs
(recipe, Carrie Floyd)
Though Chicago hot-dog purists might quibble with this recipe — no poppy-seed bun! — it combines the essential flavors with ingredients I've been able to procure where I live in Portland, Oregon.
In a pinch, I've substituted other pickled peppers (jalapeños, hot cherry peppers) for the sport peppers. But I've also been known to cart home a jar in my suitcase from Illinois.
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 4 kosher, all-beef hot dogs, boiled or grilled
- 4 hot-dog buns, warmed or toasted
- Sweet pickle relish
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 large dill pickles, quartered length-wise
- ¼ cup sport peppers
- In a mortar, grind together the celery seed and salt until fairly fine. Set aside.
- Place hot dogs in buns.
- Garnish each hot dog with mustard, relish, chopped onion, tomato wedges, pickle spears, and sport peppers. Sprinkle with the celery salt.