Top | Soups
(recipe, Meera S.T. Vargo)
This tomato soup is equally good alongside a grilled cheese sandwich or as the first course of an elegant meal. The contribution of the wine is subtle, but the resulting soup has real depth of flavor.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 2 to 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add carrots, celery, onions, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Add wine and cook on low for about 3 minutes, simmering gently. Add tomatoes and 2 cups broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Purée using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to pan (if using a blender), stir in cream, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. If needed, add the extra cup of broth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Make this into Tomato-Basil Soup by adding 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese and 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil after puréeing.
Add 1 teaspoon fennel seeds to the sautéing vegetables for a punchier taste.