Top | WFM Recipes
Rustic Tomato-Bread Salad Panzanella
(recipe, Williamsburg Farmers Market)
This recipe was prepared and sampled at the Williamsburg Farmers Market Chef Tent by Executive Chef of William & Mary Catering, Denis Callinan on July 31, 2010.
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes diced into ½” pieces (1-½ lbs.; about 5 medium tomatoes)
- ¾ cup slivered red onion
- 2 tsp. of minced garlic
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. each ground black pepper, salt and sugar
- ½ cup shredded fresh basil
- 6 cups day-old dense, crusty bread cut or torn into 1” cubes (about ½ lb.)
- ⅛ cup aged balsamic vinegar (or balsamic glaze)
- Combine all ingredients except bread in a large bowl. Let stand for flavors to develop, about 10 minutes.
- Add bread and toss well to coat. If bread seems dry, sprinkle with an additional teaspoon or two of water. Salad will hold several hours at room temperature before serving.