Top | Breakfast
Blue Cornmeal Pancakes
(recipe, Meera S.T. Vargo)
I highly recommend adding blueberries to these delicious, hearty pancakes.
- 1¼ cups blue cornmeal
- 1 cup whole-wheat or all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 cup blueberries (optional)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk and eggs.
- Whisk dry ingredients into egg mixture, just until combined. Whisk in melted butter.
- Prepare an electric griddle (preheat to 375 degrees) or nonstick skillet (heat over medium heat).
- Pour a generous ¼ cup of batter for each pancake. Sprinkle a generous 1 Tbsp. blueberries over each pancake, if using.
- Cook for approximately 3 minutes, or until underside of pancakes are golden-brown and bubbles form on surface.
- Turn and cook for 1 or 2 minutes on second side.
- Serve hot with butter and syrup.