Top | Beverages
(recipe, Meera S.T. Vargo)
Tangy, sweet-tart refreshment. Delicious with or without the lemon verbena. If you do use it, it will add another layer of citrus flavor. The citrus zest and a pinch of salt add depth — don't omit them.
- 1½ cups lime juice (from 8 to 10 limes)
- ½ cup lemon juice (from 2 to 3 lemons)
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- Pinch salt
- 4 dried leaves lemon verbena, crushed (optional)
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 7 to 8 cups cold water
- Combine the juices, zests, salt, lemon verbena (if using), and sugar in a medium bowl or a 4-cup measuring cup. Stir mixture until sugar is dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes. Strain out the zest and the lemon verbena, if using.
- Refrigerate (up to 3 days) until ready to serve. To serve, combine juice mixture with 7 cups water. If desired, add as much as 1 additional cup water. Serve over ice.