Top | Basics
Full-Flavored Chicken Broth
(recipe, Meera S.T. Vargo)
This recipe — adapted from The Italian Country Table, by Lynne Rosetto Kasper — makes a very full-flavored, meaty broth. Use it for soups and sauces when you want an intense flavor or background. This stock requires a 12-hour simmering, but it only takes a few minutes to put everything into the pot.
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds), cut into pieces
- 6 qt. water
- 2 unpeeled onions, chopped
- 2 unpeeled carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 whole heads of garlic, left unpeeled and halved horizontally
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14 ounces) tomatoes in juice
- Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer. Cook at a bare simmer, partially covered, for 12 hours. Keep liquid at least 2 inches above solids by adding boiling water to pot as needed.
- Pour broth through a fine-mesh sieve and skim off the fat. Use immediately or refrigerate.