Top | Lynne Sampson Curry
Cooling Cantaloupe Soup
(recipe, Lynne Curry)
In melon season, I like to surprise dinner guests with this savory melon soup for sipping in demitasse cups. Serve it very well chilled; if you like, add a swirl of plain yogurt for a garnish.
- 4 cups ripe cantaloupe, cut into 2-inch chunks
- ½ cup Riesling wine
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. agave nectar
- ¼ tsp. fine sea salt
- ⅛ tsp. black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- 8 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped scallion greens
- Plain yogurt, for garnish (optional)
- Put all the ingredients in the beaker of a hand blender. Push the hand blender into the mixture as far as it will go and mix, moving it up and down until the mixture is very smooth, with flecks of basil and scallion. Taste for seasoning.
- Freeze the soup for 15 minutes to get it very cold, then blend once more before serving.