Top | Ayurvedic Recipes
Rocco DiSpirito Low-Cal Brownies (Black Bean)
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- • Nonstick cooking spray
- • 1½ cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- • ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (buy the good stuff, don’t cheap out on this - makes a huge difference)
- • 1 tablespoon espresso powder (or finely ground coffee - I’d use less than the recipe calls for)
- • ¾ cup egg substitute (I used real eggs)
- • 2 tablespoons low-calorie sugar-free chocolate syrup, such as Walden Farms (you can make your own)
- • 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream, such as Breakstone's (I used tofu sour cream)
- • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- • 24 packets (84 g) Truvia or 8 tablespoons granulated Splenda (or the equiv. Agave nectar)
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- (I also added a few cacoa chips - not carob + nuts)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8×8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the beans, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and egg substitute in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down the bowl halfway through.
- Add the chocolate syrup, sour cream, butter, Truvia, and vanilla. Process until all of the ingredients are combined, about 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, turning the dish halfway through the baking time. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out with soft batter clinging to it.
- Let the brownies cool completely in the baking dish on a wire rack. Then cut into 12 squares and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.