Top | Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery
Lemon Buttercream Frosting
(recipe, Martha Swift & Lisa Thomas)
This lemon buttercream perfectly complements our lemon cupcakes or layer cake — its citrus tang makes it the perfect foil for the sweet cake. It also smells delicious!
- 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Grated zest of 1 to 2 unwaxed lemons (you need 2 teaspoons)
- 4¼ cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, lemon zest, and half the confectioners' sugar until smooth. (This can take several minutes with an electric hand mixer.) Gradually add the remainder of the confectioners' sugar and beat again until smooth and creamy. If needed, thin with additional lemon juice.