Top | Things to Try
Smoky Red Lentil Hummus
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- * 1 cup organic red lentils, picked over and rinsed
- * ½ teaspoon natural sea salt
- * 1 clove organic garlic
- * ¼ cup naturally prepared tahini paste (See Note)
- * 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika, more for garnish
- * 3 tablespoons organic lemon juice
- * 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1. Put lentils, 1½ cups cold water, and ½ teaspoon of salt in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft but still hold their shape, 15 to 20 minutes. Add ¼ cup more water at a time if the pot becomes dry before the lentils are cooked. Drain the lentils in a fine mesh sieve and allow them to cool.
- 2. Mince garlic, add a pinch of salt and with the side of a large knife work the garlic into a paste.
- 3. In a food processor, puree the garlic, cooled lentils, tahini, smoked paprika, and lemon juice, scraping down the sides of bowl. Continue to puree, adding the olive oil. Adjust seasoning.
- 4. Transfer dip to a serving bowl, garnish with a dusting of paprika and a drizzle of olive oil.