Top | Tod's Recipes
Green & Red Macaroni
(recipe, Tod Dimmick)
The bright bright green of fresh shell peas, and the glowing crimson of beets, make this dish stand out from across the room. Then the fresh flavors, framed by a touch of rich egg-and-cheese, make this a light but satisfying vegetarian entree.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes (not including beet cooking)
- ½ lb. whole wheat macaroni
- 2 TB butter
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 1 cup cooked beets, chopped into cubes approximately pea-sized
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 TB minced fresh dill
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Cook the macaroni per package directions.
- While the macaroni is cooking, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat and cook the peas, stirring, for 2 minutes or until they begin to become tender. Then, add the chopped beets and heat for another minute. Turn the heat off under the peas.
- When macaroni is done, drain and quickly return the pasta to its cooking pot. Pour in the egg and stir for a minute (the egg will cook). Stir in the parmesan, the peas, the beets, the dill, and the black pepper.
- Distribute to serving plates, seasoning with salt to taste.
- Serve a light dish like this on a warm summer evening with a glass of dry rosé. Uh oh, here it comes again... life is good.
- Served up by Tod Dimmick,
- AKA "The Foodie" at 1000radishes.com