Top | Crockpot
Split Pea Soup
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 1 lb. of organic dried green split peas
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 organic celery stalks, chopped
- 2 organic carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ham hocks from a pasture-raised pig, hormone and antibiotic free (skip these to make this vegan)
- 6 cups of water
- 2 tsp. of fresh thyme, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh sage, minced
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrots. Saute until onions are translucent, about 5-7 minutes, add in the garlic, cook another minute. Remove from the heat.
- Add the peas, cooked vegetables, water and ham hocks to your slow cooker. Stir to combine, add your herbs, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 4-5 hours or on LOW 8-10 hours until the peas are soft and the ham falls off the bone. Remove the bones and puree the soup with a blender. Use either an immersion blender or ladle the soup in batches, only filling the blender halfway. Hold down the lid with a towel while blending. Return the pureed soup to the pot. If you wish, add back the meat from the bones. Salt and pepper to taste, serve topped with freshly minced thyme. This soup would be great with homemade toasted croutons on top.