Top | Crockpot
Butternut Squash Soup
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- * 2 tablespoons canola oil
- * 1 large onion
- * 2 garlic cloves
- * 1 tablespoon minced ginger (important)
- * 1 teaspoon cumin seed (or ground) (optional)
- * ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (black or brown, you can get these at Asian or bulk food stores or don't use if on a gluten-free diet)
- * 1 medium sized squash (microwave it for a minute to make it easier to peel)
- * 4 cups chicken stock (use slightly less to make soup thicker!, vegans, use organic vegetable stock)
- * salt and pepper
- * 1 sweet red pepper (diced in very tiny cubes, size of kernel corn)
- * 1 cup whole kernel corn
- * 1 cup 10% cream (use Alpro or Mimicreme if you're vegan)
- Heat oil on medium and saute onion, garlic, ginger until soft and golden (about 3, 5 min - make sure not to burn the garlic!).
- Add cumin and mustard seed and saute until you hear the seeds pop (30-60 sec), then stir in the cubed squash and toss to coat, then add stock, bring to a boil and cover.
- Reduce heat and let simmer until the squash is soft and tender. At this point, you want to add the salt and pepper to taste.
- You want to turn heat off and let cool before you puree. Once cooled, this is where you need a blender and an extra pot. You want to place around 3-4 ladles of the soup in the blender - don't fill all the way - and puree, then place in the new pot. Once all the soup is pureed, put back on medium low heat.
- Stir in the cream (make sure you stir enough to get the cream incorporated, otherwise it will curdle).
- Then add your corn and red pepper. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes and VOILA!