Top | Crockpot
Caribbean Coconut Black Bean Stew
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 2 14.0 oz. cans black beans or 3 cups cooked black beans
- * 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- * 2 large onions, chopped
- * 4 garlic cloves, minced
- * 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- * 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- * 1-2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional for heat, I omit)
- * 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- * ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- * 4 russet potatoes, cut into large cubes or 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into large cubes
- * 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- * 1 cup vegetable broth
- * 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- Place beans, potatoes and tomatoes in crock pot.
- In a large skillet, heat coconut oil over medium-high heat and saute onions, garlic, brown sugar, cayenne, bell pepper, thyme and chili flakes (if using) until soft.
- Add the vegetable broth to the skillet and stir with a wooden spoon on low heat scraping up any browned bits in the skillet.
- Pour the broth/vegetables into the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 3-4 hours. Switch to low heat and add coconut milk for 30 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve over short grain brown rice.