Top | Things to Try
Indian Chickpea Spread
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- * ½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- * ½ teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- * ¼ teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- * ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- * 5 whole white pepper corns
- * ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- * 1 can (15 oz.) organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- * ½ cup fresh organic cilantro leaves (optional)
- * ¼ cup naturally prepared tahini paste (See Note)
- * 3 tablespoons organic lemon juice
- * ½ teaspoon natural sea salt
- * 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, more as needed and for garnish
- 1. In a small skillet over medium heat, dry roast all the spices but the turmeric, until they darken slightly and become fragrant. Turn off heat and add the turmeric. Grind the spices with a mortal and pestle, spice grinder, or clean coffee grinder.
- 2. Mince garlic, add a pinch of salt and with the side of a large knife work the garlic into a paste.
- 3. In a food processor, puree chickpeas, cilantro (if using), garlic paste, tahini paste, lemon juice, salt, and spice mixture, scrapping down the side of the bowl. With the food processor running, add olive oil. Add a few tablespoons of water at a time until the texture is smooth and creamy.
- 4. Taste to adjust seasoning, adding more lemon juice, salt or olive oil if desired. Garnish with olive oil and a slice of lemon.