Top | Savory
Stuffed Tomatoes Provençal
(recipe, Anna Conley)
Recipe by Kathy Gunst
from Kitchen Gardener issue #17
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup fresh basil, cut into thin strips
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 3 Tbsp. olive purée
- Freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 tsp. basil-flavored oil or olive oil
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Stem the tomatoes and cut them in half widthwise. Use a small knife or a spoon to remove about 2 Tbs. of pulp from each half. Chop the pulp finely and reserve. Place the tomatoes in a shallow roasting pan.
- Pour the olive oil into a medium skillet over moderate heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 min., stirring frequently to prevent browning. Add the reserved tomato pulp, half the parsley and basil, and the thyme, and cook another 3 min., stirring frequently. Add 1-½ Tbs. olive purée, stir well, and remove from the heat. Add the remaining parsley and basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread ½ tsp. olive purée in the bottom of each tomato. Divide the stuffing among the 8 tomato halves and top each with ½ Tbs. breadcrumbs. Drizzle the top of each tomato with ½ tsp. basil oil. Bake the tomatoes for 15 min. and serve hot or at room temperature with a garnish of basil leaves.