Top | Sweet
Sourdough Banana Bread
(recipe, Anna Conley)
This is an outstanding sourdough banana bread that I would like to pass on. This came from Don and Myrtle Holm's Sourdough Cookbook in 1972. I have used it many times with excellent results.
- ⅓ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp. vanilla or 1 tsp grated orange rind
- Cream together the shortening and sugar, add egg, and mix until blended.
- Stir in bananas and sourdough starter.
- Add orange rind or vanilla.
- Sift flour, measure again with salt, baking powder, and soda.
- Add flour mixture and walnuts to the first mixture, stirring just until blended.
- Pour into greased 9x5" loaf pan.
- Bake in moderate or 350F oven for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool before slicing.