Top | Newsletter featured recipes
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
(recipe, Hillsdale Farmers' Market)
- 4 cups rhubarb stalks cut into 1-inch pieces (Trim outside stringy layer of large rhubarb stalks (rhubarb leaves are toxic; make sure to trim away and discard any leaves, trim ends.)
- 2 cups strawberries, stemmed and sliced (about 2 pints)
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 Tbsp. of quick cooking tapioca
- 1 tsp. of grated orange peel
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Mix the rhubarb and the strawberries with the sugar, tapioca, and orange zest in a large bowl. Let sit for 30-60 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter in with a fork or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the milk and egg until just moistened.
- Pour fruit into a 13x9 casserole dish. Drop the batter on the fruit. Bake in a 350°F oven for 35 minutes until cobbler crust is golden brown.