Top | seafood
easy recipe with green peas with calamari
(recipe, Cinzia Rascazzo)
This is a recipe from Puglia, a region in Southern Italy. The beauty of the Puglia cuisine is that you can prepare very delicious dishes without spending too much time in the kitchen.
The key is to use fresh and very high quality ingredients: if you want to save time in the kitchen, you should spend a little extra time looking for the right ingredients.
This is simple recipe which I guarantee will impress your guests on a dinner party! I love this recipe, first because it is very tasty and second because you can serve it cold, so you can prepare it in advance and enjoy your dinner with your guests!
I got inspired by what’s in season now in Puglia and Italy: the fresh green peas!
You also need very small calamari. Please note that it is very important the calamari are fresh and not frozen.
For more information about the cuisine of Puglia, visit: http://www.italycookingcourses.com
- 500 g fresh green peas (small size)
- 1 very small onion
- 8 small calamari (fresh and small)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (medium fruity)
- 2 slices of artisan durum wheat bread
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- In a pan, soften the onion with a few drops of extra virgin olive oil.
- Clean the green peas and cook them at very low flame and with the lid.
- Add the sea salt.
- After 20-30 minutes, remove them from the flame and let them cool down before reducing into a purea with the food processor.
- On the side, wash the calamari and cut them in small strips, lengthwise. Sautée the calamari just for a few minutes at very low flame.
- Cut the artisan bread in small strips and bake in the oven for a few minutes, until it gets crunchy.
- Once it is ready, drizzle with a few drops of extra virgin olive oil on top.
- Pour the green peas purea on a plate.
- Place the calamari strips on top and drizzle with a little more extra virgin olive oil.
- Sprinkle a pinch of black pepper on top.
- Serve with toasted bread.