Top | WFM Recipes
Blue Talon Bistro Strawberry Trifle
(recipe, Williamsburg Farmers Market)
Chef David Everett of Blue Talon Bistro demonstrated this recipe at our chef's tent on May 8, 2010. www.bluetalonbistro.com
- 3½ cups Milk (partly skim or whole)
- ⅓ cup + 3 Tbsp Granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup Cornstarch (corn flour)
- ⅛ tsp. Salt
- 2 ea. + 1 yolk Lg Whole Eggs
- 2 tspns Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 2 pt. Fresh Local Strawberries
- (Pound Cake or White Cake, cut into small slices)
- Cooked Vanilla Custard: In a large stainless steel (or heatproof) bowl whisk together the ⅓ cup (65 grams)sugar, cornstarch, salt, eggs, and egg yolk.
- Whisk in ½ cup (120 ml) of the milk.
- Set aside while you heat the rest of the milk and sugar.
- Have ready a fine medium-sized strainer and bowl as you will need to strain the pudding after it is cooked.
- First, rinse a medium-sized heavy saucepan with cold water and then shake out the excess water. Doing this step prevents the milk from scorching.
- Then pour the remaining 3 cups (720 ml) of milk, along with 3 tablespoons
- of sugar, into the saucepan and bring just to a boil.
- Gradually pour the hot milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, until the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer the pudding mixture to a clean large, heavy bottomed saucepan
- and place over medium-low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of
- mayonnaise (about 2 minutes).
- Remove from heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour through the strainer to remove any lumps that may have formed during cooking.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill for an hour or two (or even overnight).
- To Make Strawberry Trifles: Take 6 or 8 bowls or wine glasses (depending on size) and place a small slice of pound cake or white cake in the bottom of each trifle glass.
- Spoon a little of the custard over the cookies.
- Slice the strawberries and place a layer of them over the custard in each bowl.
- Place another layer of custard and strawberries, then finish off with a layer of custard.
- The puddings can be eaten right away or placed in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Just before serving garnish each pudding with dollops of softly whipped cream, and slices of strawberries.