Top | WFM Recipes
Asparagus Soup ala K&J Farms
(recipe, Williamsburg Farmers Market)
Another recipe sent to us by our asparagus growers at K&J Farms in Diggs, VA.
- 3 lb. fresh asparagus (keep ½ lb of tips aside)
- 4 cans fat-free chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 stick light margarine
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup fat-free half & half
- 2 t granulated garlic powder
- 1½ t salt
- 1½ t black pepper
- 1 lb. peeled, cooked shrimp (Optional: cook raw shrimp in water containing generous amounts of Old Bay Seasoning. Reserve 1 cup of this liquid after the shrimp are done and add to soup along with other liquid ingredients.)
- Cut 2-½ lbs of asparagus into 1" pieces reserving ½ lb of tips.
- Place in microwave-safe dish with ½ cup water, cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Microwave until tender, but NOT MUSHY (8 Min for medium diameter spears).
- Puree cooked asparagus in blender or food processor.
- In a large soup pot, melt margarine with olive oil over medium heat.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to oil mix, stirring constantly until well blended.
- Continue to cook this roux until slightly browned (use a wire whisk to break roux into crumbled texture).
- Add 2 cans of broth to roux, whisking briskly to avoid lumps.
- Turn heat to low and add remaining broth, pureed asparagus, milk and half & half to pot, continuing to stir frequently.
- While pot simmers, cut reserved raw asparagus tips into 1" pieces.
- Add raw asparagus to soup with shrimp (and shrimp liquid, if desired) and simmer for 20 minutes.