Top | Things to Try
Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Apples
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 3 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 4 tsp. curry powder
- 3 lb. Butternut squash (this should be about 2 CSA size squash)
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock, or vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Remember the “basic formula” ? Cook the onion in the butter over a low heat until tender but not browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and cook for a minute or two more (if you have young kids, you may want to omit the curry).
- Add the stock, squash, and apples.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook, covered, for about 20 minutes.
- Puree in a blender, food processor, or immersion blender (note that if you use anything other than a ‘real’ blender, the puree will be a little rough. If you don’t like that, strain it, or buy a blender.
- Return to the pan and add the apple cider (or, if you don’t like it very sweet, add more stock).
- Season with salt and pepper