Top | Summer
(recipe, Michelle D ~ aka Sage)
Harissa, the basic seasoning paste of Tunisia, is served with kebabs and couscous, and appears on the table in a small dish. It is also delicious on crusty bread spread with hummus. It is to be used sparingly as a condiment. Harissa is sold ready-made in tubes or small cans; the best comes from Tunisia.
- 1½ lb. roasted, seeded, and peeled red bell peppers
- ¼ lb. fresh hot red chiles, seeded and trimmed
- 1 cup sweet Spanish paprika
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 to 8 peeled garlic cloves
- ¼ cup ground caraway seed
- Combine bell peppers, chiles, paprika, olive oil, garlic cloves, and caraway seed. Purée in the bowl of a food processor until smooth and thick, adding salt to taste. To use as a sauce, whisk 1 tablespoon harissa with ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon chopped flat parsley, and enough water to make a pourable sauce.