Top | Spring
Herbed Pea Sprout, Fennel, and Mushroom Salad
(recipe, Michelle D ~ aka Sage)
Pea sprouts, with their delicate, sweet flavor, are the epitome of spring. Toss them with mushrooms, fennel, and herbs for a simple, elegant salad that’s perfect on its own or served with scallops in vodka sauce.
What to buy: Pea sprouts can be found at gourmet grocery stores and farmers’ markets. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find them year-round, but they peak in the springtime.
- 1 small fennel bulb, quartered, cored, and sliced crosswise paper thin
- 6 oz. cremini mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced paper thin
- ¼ cup thinly sliced fresh chives
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 Tbsp. champagne vinegar
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. granulated sugar
- 8 oz. pea sprouts
- Combine all ingredients except pea sprouts in a large, nonreactive bowl and toss together. Cover and allow to marinate in the refrigerator until the mushrooms are slightly softened and have soaked up some of the vinaigrette, about 10 minutes.
- Add pea sprouts, toss thoroughly to coat, and serve immediately.