Top | The Veg Table
Sweet Potato Pie with Caramelized Onions
(recipe, Mary Altman)
This is a hearty, very filling vegetarian main dish, fit for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Paired with a green side salad, it makes a perfect bistro meal.
- Olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 6 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 10 oz. whipped cream cheese
- 12 oz. package silken tofu
- 4 sprigs rosemary, very finely chopped
- 4 sprigs oregano, very finely chopped
- pie pastry (I use Pillsbury's prepared and pre-flattened pastries – comes with 2 in a pack)
- Spread diced squash on a roasting pan and toss with olive oil and salt. Roast at 400 until tender, about 45 minutes.
- While the squash is roasting, caramelize the onions. Warm about 2 tsp olive oil, add onions and sugar, and cook over medium to low heat until browned. This should take a half hour or more - be sure not to overheat and burn the onions.
- Bring pastry shell to room temp. Press shell into a lightly greased pie pan.
- Blend roasted squash, cream cheese, tofu and herbs. Pour mixture into pie pan, bake at 375 until mixture firms and gets slightly brown on top.
- Place caramelized onions on top of pie before serving.